Followers

Monday, November 27, 2017

Am I at the beginning of the end?

Father Time, via Pinterest
Old age (I looked it up) refers to ages nearing or surpassing the life expectancy of human beings, and is thus the end of the human life cycle.   (Wikipedia)

Seriously, Wikipedia..."the end of the human life cycle"?
Really?
Who wants to know that? 

FYI, dear readers, the organic process of aging is called 'senescence' — while the medical study of the aging process is called 'gerontology.' You'd think they could get those two to meet, match, coincide or at least be spelled similarly. Senescology? No, but I digress. Old people digress a lot, have you noticed?

So, yes, I researched, to some degree, the subject of age:

Terms and euphemisms for those approaching the end include old peopleseniorssenior citizensolder adultsthe elderly, and (in many cultures, including the cultures of aboriginal peoples) elders. 


However, in my experience, impending old age (my own euphemism) is called horror.

Very young
"Old people often have limited regenerative abilities and are more susceptible to disease, syndromes, and sickness than younger adults."

How horrible is that? I don't want to be susceptible to a syndrome, having already had more than my share of diseases and sicknesses, even as a younger, but not much younger adult.

No longer very young

I just realized I led myself into discussing this subject  while in the process of preparing a former post
which was about about elephants.

You know elephants: they never forget, unlike yours truly here who forgets everything, and I think they live for squillions of years if they aren't shot or, worse still, left to die after a hunter has removed their tusks.


Oh, wait! Re elephants—not squillions of years of age at all. I looked it up: 60 to 70 years, it seems, somewhat less than what I expected my life expectancy to be.

But that means I have lived longer than an elephant, even if Jumbo lives to a ripe-old-elephant-age.

Sharing with Lady Fi's wonderful meme "Our World Tuesday"

   Young and old




15 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
My grandmother used to say "auld age disnae come itsel'" Meaning it brings its pals of dead brain, numb bits, uncooperative bits, falling off bits... sigh. Like you, mine started earlier than the pundits would have it be. One of the worse things I did for myself was read "Still Alice". Those symptoms loom large. YAM xx

Rajesh said...

Wonderful analysis.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I think we have some years ahead yet, Kay. People live longer now. Even my grandma made it to just short of 100 though I am certain I wont live anywhere near that long. The main thing is to enjoy life now......each day is a gift and we are so fortunate compared to so many countries.I love those photos of you! I love elephants too, as did my grandma.

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh, I feel you. I try not to look at the list of could happen's that may be lurking in my genetics. I have Type II diabetes so I am more or less susceptible to a long list of delightful consequences. I am somewhere between old elephant and I can't believe she lived that long. I treat most things with humor. It is my mini face lift.

Lady Fi said...

All we can do is to hope to age with some joy and possibly grace.

Marian said...

Not yet, not yet. :)

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Wikipedia is not the most reliable source for info but your quote was funny

eileeninmd said...

Hello interesting post. I think everyone would like to age gracefully. I would like just to be healthy. Pretty photos of you at different ages.

Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

Jenn Jilks said...

Still Alice was a horrid example, Yam! I wish I hadn't read it, either.
I've learned a lot from my octogenarian and nonagenarian clients. Dignity, grace, accepting physical limitations while doing what you can.
My client looked after hubby while I was away. It was so sweet.
It's better if you are healthy in your later years, but there are lessons to learn there, as well.
Re: this book, it's awful the way she pictured it. I'm happy not to have to be on top of my game anymore. So much pressure to achieve, do something. I have learned to be happy with a walk in the woods.
xx

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely post about aging ~ enjoy each moment and it is all good ~ which is what I try to focus on ~ what is good in my day ~ not easy sometimes especially if health inhibits one's activities ~

Happy Week to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Al said...

Interesting post. It's not like we have a choice about getting old, either it happens or it doesn't...

Angie said...

Yes, digression is a characteristic of those who are 'seasoned'. But look at your post - how interesting is that?!? Enjoying every moment of my 'past the use by date' time!!!

magiceye said...

Loved your thoughts here! :)

Mara said...

I found out I was middle-aged the other day! I thought I would be much older to qualify for that, but apparently once you hit forty you are no longer young.

As for illnesses and such. Any cold I get now seems to be much worse than ten years ago.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I don't really feel old and I kind of jokingly talk about being 'ancient'.... But my children now all qualify for AARP* so obviously it is no joke. I do think it is about enjoying each day as it comes , blah blah blah.... and doing as much as you can. But admitting that nothing lasts forever and making plans accordingly. I do hate ageism -- it's a real form of discrimination where it's still OK to make jokes about old people -- as if it something to be ashamed about.

*stands for American Association of Retired People, but it is a lobbying group and you only have to be 50 or over and don't have to be retired (we don't pay the dues and I don't think any of our kids do eithier, but they could).