Followers

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

The past slides into the present

What's on my mind today (if you use Facebook, you'll know this is the question Facebook always asks) so...what's on my mind is the large collection of colour slides my father, Gordon Davies, amassed during his years as an outdoor writer and photographer.


I've checked online with both of my brothers, one at his home in British Columbia, the other gallivanting around Europe with his wife on their umpteenth 'second honeymoon'!

Neither brother has been able to tell me where those slides are now...but I'm telling you, Dad's photos were beautiful. Not only beautiful, but also wonderful.

The gizmo pictured above is supposed to able to transform colour slides into online photos, I've been told. How wonderful is that?

You're probably thinking if I had such a gizmo, I would bore everyone in Blogdom with endless travel, fishing and outdoor photos (if one of us can find them). You might be right. Fish photos would be a change, however, from endless pictures of my dogs, past and present. And a change is...well, you know, it's as good as a rest.

I can't even find Dad's books now, because I had loaned both of them (Living Rivers and Living Rivers II) to a sick friend. I do hope she had a chance to read them both before she died, because they are happy books.

Oh, don't get me wrong, they're not jump-up-and-down happy, like a teenager on a trampoline, but serene-and tranquil-happy, like a hot cup of coffee on a cold winter's day. That's what El Gordo wanted...always coffee, never tea, and he'd thank you with that mischievous twinkle in his eye.

When we were young, Dad taught us about fish and their spawning.
This lake trout is in 'spawning dress' and  therefore not good eating.
Wikipedia photo


I'm sharing this trip into my past with Lady Fi's
Our World Tuesday


11 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

OH Kay! Your dad must have been a wonderful person as well as a great writer-- you have to find copies of those books....or get back the ones you lent.

I have a whole huge storage drawerful of my dad's old slides, mostly from their travels. (We have a storage area in the barn/storage at our daughter and SIL's. When we downsized we got rid of a lot but now I find that a lot of stuff we kept and stored is really not needed. So i'm trying to clear up our area out there.... but I just can't get rid of my dad's slides. Someone else will have to do it someday I suppose. )

Kay said...

How wonderful to have such an exciting dad. I wish I knew about that slide converter before. Sigh. I had so much to scan the hard way.

Lady Fi said...

Oh, I didn't know your dad was a writer and photographer! I'd love to see some of his photos.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh, Kay, i hope there is some way to get your dad's books back, and find those slides! Such treasures.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Deary me, I do hope you can solve the mystery of the missing images... but at least the memory is alive! YAM xx

Gattina said...

In my father's photos there was nothing to be worthwhile to be kept. All about his military service and I am allergic against the German uniform. The rest was from the hospital because he had the chance to spend his military service in bed with rheumatisme. That maybe saved him his life !

Mara said...

I hope you find the slides again and get to scan them. If nothing else it would be a nice 'memory' for future generations.

Penelope Notes said...

Oh, what a shame those original slides and/or pictures can’t be found. They offer an important environmental history of a region and really deserve to be cataloged in some way. This post has me wondering what I might have done with my copy your dad’s book. I’ve searched for it … it’s been a while since I read it. I'll keep you posted and let you know if I find it. :)

Jackie McGuinness said...

I used that gizmo to transfer the slides we had taken. It is a slow process as you do one at a time, but luckily we didn't use slides for very long.
On lending books, I have on several occasions, lent travel books to friends and never got them back.
With the abundance of information on the internet, I now just print travel articles I am interested in and throw them away as we travel.

PS I wish you could find them and you would not bore us with them!

Powell River Books said...

Sometimes the pictures in our mind are much better than the ones on paper. I saw a post online that CostCo is now transferring tapes and film to digital, not sure about prints. I think there is an app for smartphones to take a picture of prints in albums and thus making them digital. I don't know anything about what the quality would be with that kind of transfer. - Margy

Phil Slade said...

Hi Kay. And yes we are still around, apologies that I have been remiss on not visiting your blog. Excuses - new family members - adoption. Two weeks in Greece. Weather. Not entirely good health. No real excuse I know.

I did try one of those devices for my old 35mm slides and the results were poor. So if you do find the slides it might be better to pay to have them didgitised professionally. I looked up to see if the book was still available, and it seems to be ina few places. Not the original I know.

https://www.amazon.com/Living-Rivers-British-Columbia-Vol/dp/0921870256

Catch up with you soon. Phil and Sue.