Followers

Friday, November 8, 2013

Mexican Radio man at Real Toads

"A penny for your thoughts" says Corey (aka Herotomost) at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads today. A penny for our thoughts, provided our thoughts are about him, he goes on to specify.
Then he gave us a "just kidding" syllable count of 2324459877678765. A red flag in front of the proverbial bull, Corey m'dear. You should know that. Don't dare to dare me.

I always try to have my own poem written for Real Toads before I read the work of any of the others. This is partly to keep me from being distracted by someone else's point of view, and partly to protect my all-too-fragile ego from undergoing what it underwent today when I accidentally read Susan's Corey-poem before I looked at today's challenge. Her work was wonderful, fabulously flawless, and fortunately far too good for the likes of a scribbler like me to copy.
In a halfhearted attempt to lay the blame on Susan, however, I can say she didn't mention Real Toads until after a reader read the poem. By the time I realized what she had written and why she had written it, and put the two together, it was too late.
However, Corey's syllable-counting joke has given me an out. I rendered it religiously, thus:

2324459877678765

Corey
Rowley is
rowdy;
this none of us
can now deny
(although he will try).

The man at Mexican Radio
sometimes hides behind the music,
Not the same number
as the one written
on his shirt.
trying not to let Real Toads
know the meaning of his odes.

But he does have a heart
which might show up in his art.

He cannot hide behind music,
he cannot hide there at all.
We now have his number
written on the wall.



8 comments:

Herotomost said...

OMG....I was hoping you would come out for this one and I'll be damned if you didn't take full advantage of every nook and cranny!!!! When I posted that syllable count I thought someone might just try and pick it up...was not sure that it would be you. Since it was totally made up I have to commend you for that effort alone, unbelievable. As for the words...I must be just that transparent...lol.. I would agree with every stanza except for having my number on the wall. I think you picked that up from a bathroom wall in New Orleans!!!!!! Thanks so much Kay, it is always great climbing into the sand box with you!

Hannah said...

I love that you put the syllable count in, Kay!! I thought about doing that...you did it so well! Fun poem!

Unknown said...

trying not to let Real Toads
know the meaning of his odes.

This is a beaut of a line

dianasfaria.com said...

you're amazing!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I'm sure the numbers on his t-shirt spell BOSS (13-0-5-5).
I laughed out loud to see you had gone with his syllable count, and it really makes for a great poem in free verse. Loved your take on this crazy prompt.

Susan said...

I'm cracking up over here! Of course, you left no clue that you had been by to visit. And you one-upped me for sure--perfect words PLUS the syllable count. Corey gave you more exclamation points.

Maude Lynn said...

This is awesome, Kay!

Marian said...

best. ever!