Followers

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Succinctly Yours at Grandma's, Week 132

It feels like I've been away for nearly half of the 132 weeks Grandma's Goulash has brought us Succinctly Yours, but I'm sure it can't be that long since I last popped in to offer my two cents' worth.
Participants are asked to tell a story about the prompt photo in either 140 words or 140 characters.
It's not that I'm not longwinded. I certainly am. However, I'm trying to learn not to overwrite, and a challenge such as this is a good exercise in enforced brevity, so when I'm here I like to use only 140 characters.
There is also a Word of the Week, the use of which is up to the writer. This week's word is myriad.

Photo provided as prompt
It's hard to believe this is a color photograph, with its myriad shades of grey, and only a hint of pinky-red.
 22 words, or 110 characters

Although there aren't any bonus points for using the word of the week, because Succinctly Yours doesn't offer points, only participant satisfaction, I'm willing to offer kudos to commenters who can tell me which of Grandma's rules I actually have broken here. (And yes, I know it's a black and white photo with a bit of retouching, but that would have used too many characters.)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Goodness, you got me. Now I wondering if I broke a rule. You have no more than your quota, used the bonus word (not a rule) wrote about the photo and linked back???

Jim said...

Thank you for the picture, Pat. Did you take in in your travels?

The rule? I suggest that your write-up is not fiction, it is true.
..

Kay L. Davies said...

It's Kay here, Jim, and it's true it's not fiction, but it isn't a story about the picture, it is a comment about the picture. So few rules, and I managed to break the primary one. "Tell a story about the photo"! Tsk.
I'm still giggling about Oslo's career as a bag boy.
K

Phil Slade said...

From over here you broke a rule by incorrectly spelling "colour" Kay. Only kidding, let's not start a transatlantic blogggers war.

Susan said...

I know that life is like that sometimes. Some of my years in Albany were just that grey.

Pat said...

I like that color, "pinky red." Cute one, Kay!

Kay said...

I've no idea too. I always have a hard time keeping my posts more succinct. I just can't help myself. I really can't. No matter how much I try. See?

Friko said...

Right, you mentioned which rule you broke.
As far as I’m concerned you got the whole thing spot on. What more could you possibly want?

Susie Clevenger said...

It seems when I think back on my childhood I often recall it in black and white memories. It is hard to write in a set number of words or characters, but I love the challenge of it.

ruthinian said...

I like this photo. The shade is kinda "sepia-ish" if there is such a word. LOL

Ruthi

Grandma's Goulash said...

So glad you played.

Sorry to be so late, but my vision has been blurry after cataract surgery. It's getting better, but gets worse after I use my eyes a lot, which I do almost daily with my granddaughter's homeschooling.

I really liked this piece. It was a unique slant on the photo.