Followers

Saturday, December 17, 2011

With Real Toads, and Weekend Writers 50

I'm posting this song/poem for the writers' group Imaginary Garden with Real Toads and also for Weekend Writers' Retreat, hosted by Grandma's Goulash.
Marian's musical challenge on Real Toads featured a young (to me, but probably not to him) Canadian songwriter/singer Ron Sexsmith.
Canadian singer/songwriter
Ron Sexsmith
I listened to his song Strawberry Blonde and found it very moving and viscerally disturbing. I then read the lyrics from many of his other songs. Wikipedia states his genres as pop and folk, and, to me, each of his songs is a poem, enhanced, perhaps, by music, but art in its own right.
This led me to ponder the two (or are they one and the same?) processes: writing poetry and writing songs.
Despite being as close to tone deaf as humanly possible, I have, at times, attempted to write songs, and some very dear musicians have helped me turn my humming (a terrible thing to hear) into a tune. Needless to say, songwriting was never a career option for me. However, I thought I'd try, based on the prompt from Real Toads, to write a song.
My husband and I were shopping at the mall last night, so it should be no surprise to discover my "song" is seasonal. I decided to call it Song of the Season but that has already been used (surprise, surprise), so it is,  instead:

SEASONAL SONG

Kay Davies photo
the snow
and the blue sky
bring peace
to my hearthside
and love
of the season
brings joy
to my heart.

the chime
of the church bells
reminds
me of childhood,
the songs
which are ringing
bring joy
to my soul.

good friends,
bright faces, and
children
dressed warmly
remind
me of fam'ly
and joy
in my life.

6 comments:

Mary Ann Potter said...

How lovely! Chimes and snow and Christmas memories!

Fireblossom said...

Not a thing wrong with that. :-)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Lovel and lyrical and the tree in your photo is such a regal beauty!

Kay L. Davies said...

@ Sherry — Thanks! I love the big blue spruce, too. One year, I had squashes in the garden area to the left, and they decided to climb the tree. Two of them got up to about six feet before falling down, unharmed. I have photos somewhere.
K

Marian said...

oh, kay, it is SO lyrical, i can almost hear this. it's wonderful!
i want to hear it! pretty please?
i'm so glad you did some exploring about Ron Sexsmith. he's very special.
and also? i am married to a songwriter and have no earthly idea how to write a song. at all. you did a great job.

Grandma's Goulash said...

This is lovely, Kay, even without music I'd enjoy hearing the song that your humming.

Thanks for the intro on Ron. It prompted me to read the lyrics and then to listen to the song. Very moving.