Followers

Thursday, September 22, 2011

The wolf and the toads

Yesterday, Kerry O. from the writers' group Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, presented a challenge that threw me for a bit of a loop. She mentioned Little Red Riding Hood, folklorists and cultural anthropologists, solar myths and other naturally-occurring cycles, as well as Norse mythology.
Then she suggested we (anyone who would like to submit something in response to yesterday's challenge) explore the theme of the predator, either real or imagined, within the lines of a poem.

I couldn't imagine imagining any such thing. However, I woke up this morning with (would you believe?) a limerick in my head. I swear the last time I woke up with a limerick in my head was 40 years ago and it was about drunken Irishmen.
Photos of Blue Jeans Frogs
by Richard Schear, Costa Rica, Dec. 2007

© Kay Davies and Richard Schear



There once was a wolf who ate toads
The toads were a treat for his nodes
He liked to smell ’em
Then he would tell ’em
“You’re lunch, before I hit the roads.”

“Please, Mr. Wolf, please don’t eat us,
“For that is no way to treat us
“We’re small and we’re cute
“And really don’t suit
“Lunch or a snack without peanuts.”

“Roar,” said the wolf as he growled
“Your argument wins, but you fouled
“Cause peanuts don’t grow
“In these woods, you know.”
Defeated, the big bad wolf howled.



Click to see how this suggestion inspired serious writers who are members, followers, contributors or visitors at Imaginary Garden with Real Toads.

20 comments:

Mary said...

Loved your limerick. I don't think toads would be a tasty treat. LOL.

Anonymous said...

What a fun response! It did make me laugh, brilliant job, loved it!

Jo said...

Hi Kay, you are one of the cleverest people I know! What a cute little frog. I'm glad the wolf was defeated! Hugs Jo

Kerry O'Connor said...

I've gotta love it!! What fun you had with the limerick form, and very apposite to the site. I love the little tree froggies too.

Robert Lloyd said...

I enjoyed reading this at lunch and just thought to myself as swallowed what would a toad taste like? Your write was whimsical and fun and I enjoyed the smile it brought me.

FilipBlog said...

Super pictures.

Greetings,
Filip

Susie Clevenger said...

This made me smile...Toads don't seem a good meal for a wolf :) The wolf that stalked me only brought terror.

Mystic_Mom said...

LOVE those frogs! LOVE all frogs! :-)

Okay now for this limerick - it rocks! So cool and funny. What at treat.

Ed Pilolla said...

a lot of fun:) really enjoyed it.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm pretty sure I have NEVER woken up with a limerick in my head. :))

Carola Bartz said...

I love your limerick - and you woke up with that? Wow!!! The images are great as well.

Carver said...

What fun. You did a great job with this.

clairz said...

Isn't the mind an amazing thing? It's working (and creating) even when we think we're resting. Love the photos, too, but the limerick was a real kick.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

interesting frog, I have seen only green ones.

Jinksy said...

The frogs are adorable, and your three limericks a fitting tribute to the, and the Imaginary Garden!

Mara said...

I am not overly fond of toads, since my monsters seem to think toads are for playing with. And when a toad is being played with it tends to shriek! And of course it's dragged into the house and then I have to rescue it. Yuck!

Now about those drunken Irishmen...

jabblog said...

Delightful, Kay. It was a prompt I just couldn't respond to, so I commend you:-)

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

love your limericks.
wow.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

incredible.

:)

The Orange Tree said...

very beautiful.