Followers

Friday, September 30, 2011

Book Blurb Friday: the freighters

Posted for
Book Blurb
Friday
hosted by
Lisa 
Ricard
Claro
of
Writing in
the Buff


Each week, Lisa posts a photo, this time by Anyes of Far Away in the Sunshine, to inspire writer-bloggers.
What we, as writers, have to do, is imagine a book with this photo on the cover, then "Write a book jacket blurb (150 words or less) so enticing that potential readers would feel compelled to buy the book."




Sometimes it's a pretty tall order, Lisa, and sometimes the photo just speaks to us.
Here is my submission for this week, 148 words not including the title:



FREIGHTER

As RCMP sergeant Mike Philips lay on the Kits Beach swim raft, casually contemplating the sunset, he found himself thinking instead of the freighters anchored outside Vancouver harbor, awaiting a berth.

Long a subject of interest to RCMP, and Vancouver City Police, as well as Canada Customs, such freighters and their cargo were always inspected carefully before entering the harbor, Mike knew, especially since the turn of the new century.
“But what if...” he thought, “they were...” the thoughts were barely formed in his swim-drenched sun-baked summer consciousness. “I’d better mention this to someone.”
To which someones did he take his idea?
What did they say?
What did they do?
And what happened to Sergeant Mike Philips?
Has the Harper government built a secret equivalent to Guantanamo Bay?
Find out in Freighter, the latest novel by criminalist Cam Schaeffer, a book written to shake the world.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Well...??!! Tell us!! Please!! I love this political thriller, and I am itching to know what happened to Mike. Whatever it is, it sounds like a waste of a perfectly good swim-drenched sun-baked hot-guy sergeant! Okay, I added the hot guy part, but I think it was implied. :)

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

I'm with Tammy. Mike sounds hot. This does sound like a terrific thriller with a hero who already has my attention. :)

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Dang, you draw us right in ... so many unanswered questions, even Mike's first one. I want to know more!

Kathy M.

Grandma's Goulash said...

I'm not sure how I missed commenting. I know that I read this blurb. I guess I was hoping that I'd come back and find some answers to those questions. You'd better start writing!