Followers

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Succinctly Yours: at the reflecting lake

Photo provided as inspiration.

They talked happily by the lake, their faces obscure in the shadows. The watcher knew neither person before he shot them with his new Canon.

140 characters

Posted for Succinctly Yours, hosted weekly
by Grandma herself at Grandma's Goulash.

Each week, Grandma posts a photo to inspire writer-bloggers to writer something, and she gives us choices: either 140 characters including spaces and punctuation, or 140 words. We can write fewer words or characters, but no more. Thanks for this opportunity, Grandma!

We are also invited to use the Word of the Week, provided by Grandma's daughter, who hasn't seen the picture, which makes it more interesting. This week's word is "obscure".

To see how other writer-bloggers were inspired by the photo, and whether they used the word of the week, please click

15 comments:

Gattina said...

Didn't know that you are the perfect paparazzo too !

Julie said...

hah! I like this twist in the tale,Kay. That character/word limit is a challenge.

Thank you so much for being a tireless commenter. And for your lovely thoughts on Kirsten's blog this morning. I am sitting on the sofa at her place writing this. Babysitting. They have gone out for dinner, together.

diane b said...

I hope it was a Canon camera and not a cannon ball.

Dianne said...

oh thank goodness! it's a canon and not a cannon ;)

well done!!

Sonia Lal said...

good one! For a moment I thought you meant gun when you said shot.

Friko said...

For a fraction of a second there I thought the sentence would end shot them . . . .

I'm glad you decided to have 140 words.

Pat said...

You had me tricked right up to the word "Canon!" Excellent and very clever interpretation for this week's SY, and extra credit for using the WOTW.

Jim said...

Great, Kay! :)
It is good that the Cannon operator has someone to practice on.
Next time he can focus on the people instead of the scenery.
..

Helen A. Howell said...

Oh very interesting, why did he want their photo?

Susan Fobes said...

I first sucked in my breath when I read "shot"-then breathed a sigh of relief-just a camera...LOL!

Elaine said...

Goodness - I thought we were going to have a grizzly murder to deal with, until I read 'Canon'. Excellent post.

Pooch said...

The word "shot" grabbed my stomach! Thank goodness for a civil ending!! This is an excellent bit of microfiction! Wow!
:)

Grandma's Goulash said...

This was very cleverly done. It sent a little chill down my spine, before I realized you were writing about a camera.

Calico Crazy said...

Great story, I held my breath at the word 'shot' and then realized Cannon = camera.

SJerZGirl said...

Now, there's a touch of dark imagery that wasn't!! Nicely done!