Followers

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Magpie Tales 76: it's wrong

Photo by Skip Hunt
provided by Magpie Tales
When artist Mettla Maguire was commissioned by the mayor to create a piece of art to decorate the bare brick wall of the town hall, she knew exactly what she wanted. She used two different kinds of metal for the giant sunflower, and mounted it on the side of the town hall with a backing of blue metal roofing.

Soon, however, she was embarrassed, and eventually she was absolutely mortified. Instead of the petals turning yellow-orange as she had expected, the heart of the sunflower rusted, while the petals showed signs of turning black like sunflower seeds.

One night, thinking of the failure of her pièce de résistance, she drove to the town hall, making sure no one was around. She got out of her car carefully, quietly, and walked up to her sculpture on tiptoe. She grabbed one of the "petals" on the left of the flower and pulled on it. Suddenly, a loud alarm rang right in her ear and, as she stood there, frozen in shock, a police car drove up.

Now Mettla found herself on the other side of the town hall, in one of the two small jail cells, awaiting charges of vandalism, public mischief and assaulting a police officer. It was the latter charge that landed her in jail, but she'd had to fight back. "It's wrong!" she screamed as Constable Casey told her she would be facing vandalism charges. "It's so wrong! It's all wrong!" she repeated as she pushed him away from her.

"You're right, lady," said the newly-hired constable. "It's wrong to push a police officer head first into a rusty old windmill. I don't know why they had it rigged with an alarm, but that's not my problem."

Posted for  Magpie Tales  hosted
every week by Willow.

To see how other writer-bloggers interpreted the photo, please click

20 comments:

ninotaziz said...

Actually this reminds me of Don Quixote too somewhat. Lovely lovely prose that got me thinking, laughing and feeling sad at the same time.

Maggie said...

Fabulous! I love where you went with the prompt.

Glenn Buttkus said...

Wonderful prose response, where
we applaud that art knows no
dominion, but artists can wallow
in their insecurities. Much the same
could be said for poets.

kelvin s.m. said...

..that was a very keen narration.. i initially thought of a metal flower when i saw this image and supposedly ready to post my draft but when i popped up on Lane’s blog and see same imagery i decided to change my work and tried another muse… his brilliant to have thought it first.. and yours was the second i read treating the image as a flower rather than a windmill… i enjoyed the read… thanks.(:

~Kelvin

Buttons Thoughts said...

Hello Kay I found your blog at Motherhood of Zen. I was intrigued by the title of your blog. I am in Ontario Canada and I truly enjoy your photos and your take on things.
I love this story and the photo is fantastic. B

Li said...

Ahhh, the artistic temperament. Nothing worse than producing something, putting it "out there" and then realizing that it IS all wrong! Very clever twist on the prompt, I love it.

Brian Miller said...

as an artist...it is never perfect...and love the bit of slap stick there at the end..a funny sight to see i am sure...

Lynette Killam said...

I love this funny, lively piece, Kay! Can see it all clearly...the artist understandably upset that her artisitc vision has been compromised, and the prosaic constable wondering why anyone would get that excited about a rusty old chunk of metal!

I hope your wonderfully-named Mettla is able to restore her art work to it's former glory...:)

Fireblossom said...

*laffin*

"fate lays many springes for those with imagination"! --Amy Lowell

PS--count me as a new Lindy fan!

Jenne' R. Andrews said...

A wonderful imaginative tour d'force! xxxj

Jim Swindle said...

I like it.

Jinksy said...

Almost sounds true! LOL

Doctor FTSE said...

Ahh . . life being unfair to someone again. Great little story.

Sue J said...

This was a good read. I like how you interpreted the pic.

Other Mary said...

Oh, how we suffer for our art! Hahaha - this was a fun one. :o)

Tumblewords: said...

Stirring piece. Myriad feelings spill from your delightful words.

Intelliblog said...

Thank you for your kind comment about my poem, Kay.
I really liked your amusing story and I am glad to see that you also saw the resemblance to a sunflower! (Back the front and upside down and inside out!).

Erratic Thoughts said...

This is so nicely done,I loved it :D
haha...

gsb3 said...

Very creative, and an amusing story. Funny, too! The town hall even. Fits perfect!

Emily said...

You made me smile this morning. I like how the journalistic prose makes the funny, quirky ending so unexpected.