Followers

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Magpie Tales 72, wheat fields

 Posted for Magpie Tales, hosted weekly
by Tess of  Willow Manor, "for the enjoyment of poets and writers, for the purpose of honing their craft, sharing it with like-minded bloggers, and keeping their muses alive and well".

My contribution is below. To see how Tess's posted picture (this week a Van Gogh)
inspired other writer-bloggers, please click

Wheat Field with Rising Sun, Vincent Van Gogh, 1889

Never Quite Satisfied
When I first moved to the prairie, I missed the mountains most. My husband would point to a dim, low row of blurry blue on the horizon and say, "The Cypress Hills are just over there," but, to me, everything looked flat. Then he would take me into the old part of the city, down into the river valley, where stately and sometimes frivolous Victorian houses are built on hilly streets. I liked that. I could see the river down below as we toured up and down, looking at houses with shady verandas and gingerbread balconies. He'd find the steepest hills carved out by the river hundreds and thousands of years ago and, after half an hour or so, I wouldn't feel quite so homesick. I'd sigh, and thank him, but then I'd start to miss the ocean.
© Copyright Kay Davies 2011

14 comments:

Leontien said...

No matter where you go or how at home you feel. Your are gonna miss something that you don't have anymore...

Great post and i love the van Gogh!

Thanks for sharing
Leontien

dianasfaria.com said...

A beautiful painting to be inspired by Kay. Love your story, makes me want to read more.

magiceye said...

that was a delightful vision you painted with your words!

Reader Wil said...

I never saw this Van Gogh before! What a beautiful painting, the colours are so vibrant and Vincent must have been in a happy mood when he painted them!

SquirrelQueen said...

I love and adore that Van Gogh prompt!

That sounds like me! When we lived near the ocean I missed the mountains, now we have little mountains and see lots of farmland but I really miss the ocean.

Dianne said...

You write well Kay! just lovely.
The painting by Vincent is full of his favourite colour - that rich buttery yellow. I love it.

jabblog said...

Our earliest surroundings imprint our memories, I think, and it's hard to ignore them.

Anonymous said...

I could really relate to the homesickness I lived in the mountains (small ones in NC) now in Sweden in a harbor

Friko said...

Well, the grass is always greener on the other side.

EG CameraGirl said...

I long for the landscape I grew up in too. For me it's the Atlantic Ocean, which I truly did not appreciate until I moved to Ontario. :)

Kay L. Davies said...

In Vancouver, where I spent almost all of my working life, we had mountains as well as the Pacific, a beautiful combination.
There are many things I love about my present home, with my husband, our dog, and the deer, antelope and wild rabbits. Today I saw a couple of little "gophers" (Richardson's Ground Squirrels) running across the road in front of my car and they always make me laugh.
Home is where the heart is, although I loved my visit on the west coast last week.
— K

Kay said...

Awwww... Dick is just the sweetest guy! I love Van Gogh. I guess I'm always drawn to the intensity of his feelings poured and smeared across his canvas.

Joyful said...

I can empathize with you. It reminds me of when I first moved to Ottawa and missed the ocean. BTW, I'd never see that Van Gogh painting before. It's beautiful.

Tess Kincaid said...

Ah, the grass is always greener...