Followers

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Magpie 75: Cycles Sirius



“The entire dix-septième arrondissement, Pierre?”
“Yes, Papa.”
“Including Place de Clichy?”
“Yes, Papa.”
“And Avenue des Ternes?”
“Yes, Papa. That’s why I really need new clothes...”
“New clothes for such a job?”
“Yes, Papa. The right shorts, and shoes, and...”
“Shorts? You would wear shorts for a job?”
“Yes, Papa. Everyone does now, and...”
“Pah! The old “everyone does” excuse. I’ve heard that a thousand times from your older sisters but I never thought I’d hear it from you.”
“I’ll do the job well, Papa, but...”
“Oh, yes, I’ve no doubt you’ll do the job well. You’re your father’s son, after all, while your sisters take after their mother. Frivolous, all three of them, but I never thought I’d hear you, my only son, being frivolous. Shorts! And new shoes! Your sisters can talk of nothing but shoes! Ugly things, those shoes they want to buy, and I don’t know how they walk on them. They’ll break their ankles, and then I’ll have six broken ankles with which to deal, and your mother will have to wait on those useless girls hand and foot. Heh heh, hand and foot, for shoes. That’s funny. But new shoes are not funny. I hope you never break any of your bones, Pierre. I hope you don’t want shoes with high heels, Pierre.”
“No, Papa, high heels would never do, but...”
“But what, Pierre? You keep saying “and” and you keep saying “but” but you never tell me what it is you want to say!”
“Yes, Papa. If I’m going to deliver newspapers, I really must have a new bicycle, seriously, Papa.”

Posted by Magpie Tales, hosted by Willow.
Each week, Willow posts a photo to inspire writer-bloggers to write a poem or short vignette, of their own choice, based on what they see.  This is my submission for Magpie 75.

To see how others used the "Cycles Sirius" photo to challenge their muses, please click

19 comments:

Reflections said...

Fabulous piece... many smiles remembering those attempts at explaining things.

Mara said...

Delivering newspapers with high heels on does add a bit of class though!

Doctor FTSE said...

Excellent! You had me wondering what was coming next . . particularly as the "Tour de France" finished in Paris yesterday!

SquirrelQueen said...

Great take on the photo Kay. It does bring back memories of trying to ask my parents for something.

kaykuala said...

Newspaper delivery boy? My, he sure needs lots of clothes. A very good twist to the unexpected. Beautiful episode!

Hank

diane b said...

You did a great job.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Excellent!!

jabblog said...

Brilliantly done, Kay:-) Why don't adults listen??

Friko said...

so, did he get it?
Here the paper boys come on foot. (In sneakers, NOT high heels)

Maggie said...

This is so wonderful. Yeah, always start small, then hit them with the big one. Adorable.

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

mind blowing.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

Oh, if parents only knew what their children were REALLY thinking when they were nagging at them....

Other Mary said...

From the pic it looks like one of Pierre's sisters borrowed the bike. And Papa must not have let her go shopping for new clothes either!

Kay L. Davies said...

@ Other Mary
You're right. I didn't think of that. Very good!
— K

Lolamouse said...

You had me wondering for a moment there whether Pierre was going to ask for high heels! Now that would be totally different story!

kelvin s.m. said...

..i haven’t thought of such twist towards the end.. amazing write..i do love reading tales that have interesting twists and taste like this... thanks for the read!(:

Brightest blessings!

~Kelvin

Dave King said...

A great piece of writing. The end took me by surprise.

Berowne said...

Fine take on the prompt...

Misty DawnS said...

You really are very talented, my friend.