Followers

Friday, July 22, 2011

Book Blurb Friday #21: Heart of Stone

Posted for
Book Blurb Friday,
the back-cover meme.



Each week, Lisa Ricard Claro of Writing in the Buff, posts a photo or picture (today a photo by writer-blogger Sioux Roslawski), to inspire others to imagine a book, then write a "blurb" about that book, using no more than 150 words, to convince potential readers to buy it.


After visiting Jim’s grave, Averie felt as Lot’s wife must have felt after being turned into a pillar of stone. Her legs didn’t want to walk, her lips didn’t want to talk, and her hands simply clasped one another in a painful parody of prayer.
Someone had shot at another politician, killing Jim, an innocent bystander, and a Rottweiler.
Author Minnie Cooper has gone deep into the subject of why politicians attract crazed civilian gunslingers, and why friends and family feel it is up to them to investigate collateral deaths such as Jim’s.
Averie Miller is one such family member who cannot rest until she gets the answers her heart demands: who killed an innocent bystander as well as the senator’s bodyguard Jim Miller, and Whiler, his trained gun-sniffing dog?
Another Minnie Cooper whodunnit for your collection, available at a bookstore near you.
144 words

To see how the prompt photo inspired others, as well as Lisa herself, please click


16 comments:

Kay said...

OK, I'll buy it!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

You've taken a very different view of this photo than most, and I like the creative spin. I recently enjoyed a true crime novel my son gave me (by Ann Rule, I think) and enjoyed it, so this is next on my list.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Kay, this is really great. I like the idea that it kind of is a story within a story and how you described her feeling in the first sentence. It would be horrible (and is very possible, if infrequent) to have that sort of thing happen.

I love crime stories, and would definitely buy it. Thanks for your nice comments. I like "Charlie's Angel" better too, though I think that I could make a story out of the other one; just that the blurb wasn't very effective.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Kathy M.

Jo said...

I'm hooked and definitely want to read it! Have a great weekend, dear Kay. (((hugs))) Jo

Grandma's Goulash said...

This would make an interesting story from more than one angle. Both Averie's personal story and the psychology of the killer would interweve well and create a real page-turner story. I'd be buying it.

Maude Lynn said...

I'd read it!

Joyful said...

Nicely done, Kay! I want to read more.

Honey at 2805 said...

Great book blog! I would sure read it!

Calico Crazy said...

I could see this really selling, a true-crime feel wrapped in a fun fictional setting. ~ Calico Contemplations

SquirrelQueen said...

I would buy this one in a heartbeat! I want to know who killed Jim and Whiler.

Anonymous said...

I like this alternative plot line Very intriguing :O)

One said...

Tell me the Rottweiler didn't really die...

jabblog said...

I like this take on the prompt, Kay. It really could make a very interesting novel.

Tammy said...

I agree--very creative! I like how you made the statue symbolic and added the dog. It makes the bad guy even badder. Nicely done.

Francisca said...

If I ever publish a book, you're writing the blurb, Kay! :-D

Sioux Roslawski said...

Why do you THINK politicians make us crazy? (ha)

Minnie Cooper? What a funny name.

And I agree with Tammy. When someone kills a dog, that does it!