Followers

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Birds and our ornamental crabapple tree

We saw these birds in late winter this year, and I think they're Hungarian Partridges. Dick called them Quail, but I seriously don't think they are.

Whichever they are, six of them visited the ornamental crabapple tree on the east side of our house at mid-morning on March 9, 2011. Through the bedroom window, I could see two of them in the tree, knocking down the shriveled, frozen fruit, then floating down to the ground to pick at it.

Photos by Richard Schear
In the tree with them were several sparrows and a few starlings. The starlings pecked at the fruit as well, while the sparrows enjoyed sunbathing in the warmth of the morning sun.

Lindy was out in the back yard later that day, to sit facing south in the sunshine under her favorite tree, sunbathing as well.

"So long, it's been good to know ya."
These photos aren't particularly sharp, because Dick took them through the winter-dirty window and screen in his home office.



Posted for the meme
Camera
Critters






Hosted every week
by Misty Dawn.
Thanks, Misty!
To see other camera critters 
captured by other cameras, 
please click

HERE!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Really interesting shots Kay!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Jidhu Jose said...

nice shots

Francisca said...

I think it's wonderful that you could see these birds from your window! I agree with you, Kay... I don't know the first thing about birds, but the quail my honey uses to make a most delicious soup is much much smaller.

RNSANE said...

Nice shots and it's good that the birds are getting something to eat in that cold, snowy weather!

My Camera Critters post is at:

http://rnsane.blogspot.com/2011/06/shaggy-dog-june-18-2011.html

Michael said...

Nice pics. I don't miss the snow though.

SquirrelQueen said...

A lot of my bird photos are taken through windows, sometimes clean but mostly not. It is good they can find food even in the snow.

Dianne said...

the photos came out great
what a wonderful view to have

Martha Z said...

What ever they are I agree, I don't think that they are quail. They look a lot like female sage grouse but I think you are a bit out of their range.

Powell River Books said...

Interesting birds, nice and fat to stay warm in the cold snow. I got Mom a feeder for her condo porch. We've seen blue jays, flickers, juncos and today maybe a robin. It left pretty quick so it was hard to tell. I haven't been able to get any pictures even through the sliding glass door, they see me through the glass and are off in a flash. - Margy

eileeninmd said...

Whatever they are, they are cool looking birds. They are similiar to the female Grouse, Maybe a spruce or blue grouse? What a great sighting. I starting thinking you you were still have snow until I read on.

S K Ditta said...

It's the snow, birds, and then picking on the fruit - a cute, little package to enjoy from indoors. I enjoyed these pictures. Thanks for posting them!

Leslie said...

i agree, they don't look quite like quail. they have the shape, but it looks (at least in the photos) like they're a bit larger than quail. and i think quail have that little antenna-looking feather on the top of their heads, kind of like a lady's fancy hat feather...

i could use some snow right about now, by the way...

Unknown said...

Love your bird shots!