Followers

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Opinions from blogosphere friends?

This is the Kodak Z981 camera I'm contemplating buying. This is copied from an online advertisement:
Kodak  Easyshare Z981, 14.0 Megapixel, 26x Optical/5x Digital Zoom, Digital Camera


I am wondering if anyone has one and, if so, if you like it. Or perhaps you have a Z980, the model immediately preceding this one, as this one is quite new, apparently.

As I have said when admiring the fabulous pictures some of you are taking, I need to get a different camera. This one compensates for shaking (how cool is that?) and has a viewfinder if the photographer wants to use it, which I definitely do. I'm forever sticking my present camera up to my right eye and wondering why I can't see anything. Duh. It also has a flash-off option, which mine doesn't. I've had some interesting effects shooting in the back yard, with my flash lighting up the foreground, leaving the sky in the background dark, but that isn't always what I want. And it seems to have a portrait option, which might be good for photos of my dog and other animals, not to mention children, adults and even teenagers.

I don't really care that it has a one-button upload to Flickr, or even Facebook, but I like quite a bit of the following, especially the parts I can understand. (I can't even begin to imagine how a camera can have "Face Recognition" or why I would want it. Ooh, look, there's Aunt Martha, we don't like her, so we won't take another picture of her.)

  • Amazing quality prints with 14 MP
  • SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH VARIOGON 26x optical zoom lens with 5x digital zoom
  • 3” colour display
  • Smart Capture mode
  • Less than 0.2 second picture-capture speed means you can capture that challenging action shot without delay
  • Image stabilization with blur reduction automatically minimizes camera shake to deliver sharper pictures
  • Shoot vertically and horizontally with the convenient vertical shutter release; Detachable vertical grip included
  • Record HD video up to 720p
  • Manual exposure controls
  • Face Detection & Face Recognition
  • SDHC/SD card expansion slot
  • Dimensions: 3.34”(H) x 4.87”(W) x 4.13(D)
  • Weight: 519g
  • 1-year limited warranty
    Included in the Box:
  • KODAK EASYSHARE Z981 Digital Camera
  • Detachable vertical grip
  • 4 x KODAK Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Digital Camera Battery AA
  • KODAK Ni-MH charging solution
  • USB cable
  • Lens cap with strap
  • Neck strap
  • User Guide

So, what do you say, everybody? Anybody? Somebody?

Posted for my own interest, edification and, hopefully, education. Not for any meme, but there is music for you here.

9 comments:

Mr Puddy said...

My paparazzi got no idea about this camera's brand because she is a fan of Olympus but she said look like a good one !

Kay L. Davies said...

Hi Puddy -- Well, the best camera I ever had was an Olympus so I bought a digital Olympus a year and a half ago and am very disappointed with it.

Sylvia K said...

I really know so little about cameras as I only started really taking pictures about two years ago when I started blogging. I used my son's Sony until I bought my own Canon Powershot and I'm very happy with it and I still have a lot to learn. I'm hoping to take a photography class at a local college this spring. Wish I could be some help, Kay, but there are lots of others who are far better at all of this than I am. Hope you find a super one! And, hope your week is off to a great start!

Sylvia

Mr Puddy said...

Kay, sorry to hear that but my mom's one work perfect for her but not for me. Kay please keep it secret ok. ? I hate that camera..too noisy

Kay L. Davies said...

Shhh, I won't say anything, Puddy. Lindy doesn't like the sound of my camera, either, so she looks away when I try to take a picture of her. You are obviously a much better model. I'll have to train Lindy.

Kay said...

I have a Canon now which is OK. I used to have an Olympus that I loved. I'm also looking for a new camera. I'll look forward to seeing what you decide on.

Francisca said...

Dear Kay, first I must thank you for the laugh I needed. For the first time since I started blogging on July 1 I actually did a belly laugh out loud... on reading your Aunt Martha quip. Precious! What face recognition does is it focuses on the face(s) you are about to shoot to give maximum clarity. Most point and shoot cameras nowadays do that. So about this camera, since I don't know it, I went to my favorite camera review site: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/ and see that this Kodak does not come highly recommended. In my opinion the score given really is too low to consider it. The site is user friendly and you can find cameras by price range or brand (or sort by image stabilizer if that is important to you) and then sort by popularity or ratings or price. I know it can be a little overwhelming, so I'd be happy to help you some more if you want; just leave a note on my blog and I will email you.

Kay L. Davies said...

@ Francisca -- my husband read your comment and said, "See? That's the site I told you about" so he thinks you're very smart. I think so, too, but I know more about you than he does. He just thinks anyone who agrees with him is smart. LOL
So...I'm going to try going to the site, entering the things I want: like image stabilizer and viewfinder. I really want a viewfinder and there don't seem to be many cameras with them these days. And I want a long zoom. Thanks for offering to help, and I will definitely take you up on that if I get too confused.
-- K

Rambling Woods said...

Oh boy..I agonized and read all the reviews before buying my camera. There is so much that is so personal about it. You should go to a camera store and hold and try one out and see. I have a Canon 450D and a Powershot, but it's a matter of what you want and how much you want to pay. Google camera reviews and there is some good info out there....Michelle