Followers

Friday, August 27, 2010

My love affair with pandas

A picture I like to call "Kay Day at the Zoo"!
(Richard Schear, photo)

Adult male Giant Panda "Gao Gao" munching bamboo at San Diego Zoo. Photo by Kay Davies.

I've always loved pictures of Giant Pandas, not to mention toy pandas, and was very excited to see Bai Yun, Gao Gao and Su Lin at the San Diego Zoo a few years ago. I had watched the zoo's panda cam since Su Lin's big brother Mei Sheng was born.
http://www.sandiegozoo.org/pandacam/
I was so disappointed not to see any pandas when Dick and I went to China in 2008, and I'll always be sorry I'm not fit enough to return to China as a volunteer at the panda sanctuary in Chengdu. It's a new kind of travel called "voluntourism" and becoming very popular with younger, healthier people.
Today, however, the Google Giant Panda Alert in my e-mail contained photos and a video made by a couple who went to Chengdu. In the video, the husband (the photographer and videographer) is heard assuring two pandas that his wife (the volunteer panda keeper for a day) will be right back with more food for them. Their photos are excellent, and I'd like to share them with you here.


1 comment:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Kay: Pandas are such a special animal.